UKirk Birmingham exists currently as a Campus Ministry through the Presbyterian Church (USA), located in the Presbytery of Sheppards and Lapsley. We seek to be a “theologically reformed and socially progressive” community of faith, rooted in our weekly gathering where we celebrate the gifts and mystery of God’s love and grace.
The Ministry Coordinator for UKirk Birmingham will work directly with the Student Ministers who are chosen to serve at local Birmingham-area colleges and universities. The role will be formed out of the Presbytery and will oversee the students in a way that fosters supervision and discipleship. This person will also be responsible for the administrative and organizational tasks of UKirk.
- Work alongside and under the supervision of the UKirk Steering Team and the Executive Council of the Presbytery.
- Serve as the direct supervisor and support to UKirk Student Ministers.
- Place UKirk Student Ministers with various ministries and supervising pastors in the Birmingham area.
- Meet with UKirk Student Ministers monthly to check-in, supervise, and offer support.
- Alongside the Steering Team, oversee the use of UKirk resources.
- Annually interview potential Student Ministers alongside members of the Steering Team.
- Annually review UKirk’s programs alongside the Steering Team.
- In conjunction with the Student Ministers, create the annual Ukirk calendar.
- Provide event management oversight to any UKirk Birmingham sponsored event.
- Organize promotion of UKirk on campuses, especially at fall organizational fairs.
- Oversee UKirk social media and communication.
- Coordinate UKirk’s standing with college administrations as needed.
- Coordinate registration and attendance of UKirk Birmingham to Montreat College Conference.
Prior Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree
- Theologically grounded in the Reformed Tradition
- Strong understanding of the vision and mission of More Light Presbyterians
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and in person
- Passionate about communicating God’s love and grace on college campuses and in local congregations
- Ability to nurture spiritual growth in college students and young adults
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues in ministry
- Experience working with college students or young adults in times of transition or discernment (preferred)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Reliable transportation, clean driving record, and insurance
- Ability to work some nights and weekends
- Can commit to one academic year
Desired Skills and Qualities
- Organizational Skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Scheduling events
- Coordination and communication with schools, student ministers, and supervising pastors
- Proficiency with Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Forms, etc.) and Microsoft Office
- Understanding of Presbytery operations, including contacts at local churches
Orientation to Work
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- $20,000 annually
- 10-15 hours per week on average (with more hours needed when fall semester begins and for Montreat) 15 hours/ week maximum.
- Hours will be reviewed monthly by the Steering Team
Resume and cover letter can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org